Karaganda cement factory was established in 1953 by the former Soviet State-owned Production (Industrial) Society Karagandacement with four wet cement kilns. The cement plant commenced operations in 1953 to 1958 with production of 0.7 million tonnes of clinker. The plant expanded in 1976 with one dry line and 0.8 million tonnes of clinker. Expansion continued again in 1981 with a similar second dry line. The wet lines have been mothballed since Oct 2014.
Steppe Cement’s cement manufacturing facility is located at Aktau Village, which is approximately 40 kilometers north of the city of Karaganda and 180 kilometres to the south of Kazakhstan's capital city, Nur-Sultan. The region has a strong industrial base with a well-developed public infrastructure that facilitates the operations of major mining and industrial activities including coal and ferrous metal production.
Steppe Cement Ltd is the Malaysian-incorporated holding company of the two operating companies, Karcement J.S.C., and Central Asia Cement J.S.C., that form the cement manufacturing complex at Karaganda in central Kazakhstan. In September 2005, Steppe Cement Ltd was listed on the Alternative Investment Market (AIM) under the ticker STCM in London and was among the first Malaysian company to be listed on AIM.
Steppe Cement owns 2 dry lines since 1998. Steppe Cement’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Karcement J.S.C., started work on the 2 dry lines in 2006, and completed the Line 6 refurbishment project in 2008. Line 6 production commenced in early 2009. In March 2014, Line 5 refurbishment project was successfully commissioned with an additional 1.2 million tonnes capacity. Over the years, annual production capacity steadily increased to 2 million tonnes.